The eighth annual MOCH Health Drive 3.1 5K walk/run returns Saturday, August 6th. Runners will race through downtown Ava, along a certified 5K route. Awards will go to the overall male and female finishers, overall male and female masters, and top two finishers in each division. “The walk/run is a wonderful opportunity to get together as a community to participate in a healthy activity while supporting efforts to ensure that children have access to oral health services close to home,” said CEO Tim Shryack.
The longtime event benefits the Missouri Ozarks Children’s Health fund. The main purpose of the fund is to serve as an outreach program that expands the existing school-based services provided by MOCH using a mobile dental unit. “The fund will assist Missouri Ozarks Community Health in making sure children in south-central Missouri have access to health services,” said Shryack.
The primary focus of the unit is the provision of oral health services, but will also include preventive care, behavioral health screening and primary care services as the program grows. The objectives of this program are to:
- Provide early access to oral health services and preventive care
- Provide screening and treatment services to children in the school setting so parents don’t have to leave work to take their child to a dentist
- Integrate primary care, oral health and behavioral health services for students in grades K-12
- Conduct community, parent and student education about the availability of oral health services
- Improve student health outcomes and lower overall medical costs
- Provide services regardless of the lack of insurance or the inability to pay
Participants may register at the MOCH Wellness Center or online. Registration at the event is also available. The pre-registration fee is $20. The fee is $25 on race day.
For more information about registration or entry fees, please contact Tim Shryack at [email protected] or call (417) 683-5739.